Rugby betting fans will be thrilled about the start of this years Steinhoff Varsity Cup Rugby tournament this month. The Varsity Cup is a collective term for four individual rugby tournaments, mainly the FNB Varsity Cup presented by Steinhoff International, the FNB Varsity Shield presented by Steinhoff International, the FNB Young Guns presented by Steinhoff International and the Steinhoff Koshuis Rugby Championships. This years competition starts on 30 January and runs till the final on 17 April 2017.
Last year the competition introduced a new 9 point try scoring system. A rugby try is worth five points but then there are bonus points, depending on where the try-scoring move started. For example if the try scoring team started the move in its own half, and they kept possession from start to finish, they will obtain four bonus points. That means that the try ultimately can be worth nine points. This adds an exciting, fast paced dimension to the rugby game and this years Varsity Cup is sure to be a crowd pleaser. This year sees the introduction of an additional team into the Varsity Cup and three more teams added to the Varsity Shield. So there will be a total of 9 teams in the Varsity Cup and 7 teams in the Varsity Shield.
|03 April||FNB Maties||(1/33)||v||FNB UJ||(12/1)||Danie Craven Stadium, Stellenbosch|
|03 April||FNB Tuks||(1/20)||v||FNB Shimlas||(11/10)||Tuks Rugby Stadium, Pretoria|
This is the 10th season of the Varsity Cup. Over this period 5 teams have lifted the trophy.
Below we take a look at the Varsity Cup Rugby teams playing in 2017 and who you should place your bets on:
1. FNB NWU Pukke – Last years champions and runners up in 2015 and 2014 , the NWU Pukke have consistently been one of the form teams in the competition. They beat FNB Maties with a late try to been crowned 2016 Varsity Cup Champions. This year they will look to defend their title and will once again be the team to beat.
Current rugby betting odds to win the Varsity Cup: 7/2
2. FNB Maties – Last years runner up will be looking to go one better this year and win the tournament. Maties have consistently been one of the best teams in the tournament. In the 9 years of the Varsity Cup, Maties have contested 6 finals winning 3 of them.
Betting odds for outright Varsity Cup win: 2/1
3. FNB Shimlas – The 2015 champions narrowly missed out on a semi final spot in 2016 and will hope to regain the form that got them into the final in 2015.
Current rugby betting odds: 5/1 for outright win
4. FNB Ikeys – The 2014 Champions had a nightmare season in 2016. They managed to avoid relegation with a 40-5 win over UWC in the promotion relegation match.
Current rugby betting odds : 10/1 for out right win
5. FNB Tuks – have had success in the past winning the tournament in 2012 and 2013. The past two seasons have seen them get knocked out in the semi finals. They will be looking to get off to a good start and carry that momentum throughout the tournament.
Current rugby betting odds to win the Varsity Cup: 4/1
6. FNB UJ – The FNB UJ side will kick off its “Back Your Boytjies” campaign with a home game against last years champions Pukke. UJ have yet to reach the final of the Varsity Cup losing in the semi final in 2016, 2013, 2012 and 2011 . A strong team with a winning heart, do they have what it takes this year?
Current betting odds of 16/1 to win the Varsity Cup.
7. FNB NMMU – have had their moments in the Varsity Cup, reaching the semi finals in 2013 and 2014, but have yet to produce a championship side.
8. FNB Wits – Recently promoted, the Johannesburg side will have to produce some exceptional rugby to compete with the rest of the sides. Current rugby betting odds: 40/1 for outright win
9. FNB CUT – A side that has moments of brilliance but cant seem to consistently match the top teams in the Varsity Cup.
Please note betting odds quoted are correct at time of publication and are subject to change. View the latest Varsity Cup Betting Odds.
Varsity Cup Log
Download the full fixture list: Varsity Cup 2017 Fixture list
Place your Varsity Cup Rugby bets today
Varstiy Cup Recent Results
For specialized and comprehensive local and international online rugby betting as well as betting on horse racing, soccer, tennis, golf and motorsport either in house and or through our online sports betting facilities, visit Keith Ho BetXchange for the most competitive prices and the largest sports betting options available in South Africa.