Betting on a favourite sports team has long been a popular pastime as it serves to elevate the excitement created by the contest. It’s always so much more satisfying when the team you’re rooting for also wins you some cash. And, with the advent of online sports betting, a world of lucrative opportunities has opened up, further enhancing the popularity.
Don’t feel daunted by the prospect of placing bets online, just ensure you have done some research into the more reputable sites. Make sure you have read all the terms and conditions of the site with particular attention paid to the bonuses, as well as minimum and maximum deposits and withdrawals. Once this has been done, here is a simple guide to getting started.
1. Open an account
Select your sports betting site and then check the menu generally found on the right. Here you will find an ‘open account’, ‘register’ or ‘sign up’ button which will prompt you to register your details, including a username and password.
2. Deposit funds
Once you’ve opened your account you will have to deposit funds to place your bets. Search for the ‘account’ section which should then direct you to the ‘deposit funds’ function. There will be a minimum deposit required. You can use either a credit or debit card to enable funds to be deposited. There are also often many other payment options available such as Paypal and UKash.
3. Place a bet
Now you will need to make your selection about what sport or game you will be betting on. Once chosen, a ‘bet slip’ will appear and you must determine what ‘bet type’ you would like. You are able to cancel a bet by selecting ‘delete bet’ if you feel that you haven’t chosen the correct bet. Remember there are a variety of betting markets to choose from so it’s in your best interest to browse what betting options are available for each sport before placing your bet. For example a soccer bet could be betting on the outright winner or betting on the team to score the first goal. The second option may in fact produce better betting odds. Here are a few great online sports betting websites to place your bets with.
4. Collect your winnings
If you’ve come out tops on the bet, then the winnings will be paid out into your bookmaker account. To access this money, go into the ‘account’ menu once you have logged on and then click on the ‘withdraw funds’ option. Decide how much money you want to access and this will then be credited back into your debit or credit account.
Although you will quickly ‘get with the lingo’ of sports betting, here are 10 commonly used words and phrases to help you navigate through the online maze.
1. Across the Board – This involves betting on a horse to win, place and to show.
2. Bookmaker or Bookie – This is the person who takes wagers on sports’ events.
3. Linemaker or oddsmaker – This is the person who establishes the original and subsequent betting lines.
4. Chalk player or chalk eater – This is someone who usually only bets on the favourites rather than the underdogs.
5. Circled game – This is a game where the limits are lowered, or betting options restricted, generally because of injuries.
6. Point spread – This is the handicap or head start which the favourite awards the underdog for betting purposes.
7. Future – This is a bet on an event that will take place later, usually before the season starts. The advantage is that, if you win, you win more money than with a regular-season bet.
8. Moneyline – This is a bet where the gambler only has to pick the winner. The odds fluctuate based on whether the team is favoured to win or is the underdog.
9. Parlay – This is a bet on two or more teams or outcomes where the original stake and winnings are reinvested in the next bet.
10. Hedging – This is placing bets on the opposite side in order to cut losses or guarantee a minimum number of winnings.
Here are a few more great online sports betting websites where you can place your bets.
Start placing your bets today.
For the latest sports betting events as well as the best betting odds, promotions and bonuses on all sports and events, visit Keith Ho BetXchange online sports betting website.